Thursday, August 12, 2010

Product Reviews

Over these couple of weeks I have been trying desperately to find some products that will give me flexibility in cooking and eating.  I figured I would give some "reviews" of some of the things I have found.

Earth Balance Soy Free Buttery Spread

THUMBS UP!
With this "butter" I feel like I am eating the real thing.  I have found with non-dairy products, almost all of them use soy to replace the milk they take out.  This soy free spread does the trick.  I have cooked with it, I have spread it on my rice bread, put it on veggies and I have no complaints!  I wish they would make more products...





Rice Vegan Cheese Slices - Cheddar

THUMBS DOWN!
I was so excited to find a dairy free, soy free cheese.  I went to Whole Foods to find another brand I found on the web, and when they didn't have it, I was disappointed til I found this.  Unfortunately when I got it home I was still disappointed.  The taste isn't bad...I actually think it is better than regular fat free cheese (which isn't really hard to do).  But right on the package it says "made for melting" and nothing could be further from the truth.  When I put it on my burger it wrinkled up and started to harden on the edges, and nothing happened in the middle.  Melting it did not do.  I also tried putting it in my scrambled eggs one morning.  It still didn't melt well, but it was better than when  I tried it on the grill.  It also has an "off" taste to it, not like cheddar.  I will continue to use it until the package is done, but I don't intend on buying it again.

Rice Vegan Cheese Slices - Mozzarella

THUMBS UP!
This is the same product as above, but different flavor and what a difference! This cheese tastes close to mozzarella, melts well, and is even "stringy" like real mozzarella.  I also had this on a burger and it was a big difference from the cheddar.  Yummy and melty. :)  Next I have to try the American.





I will continue this over the next few days...this is fun :)  If you follow a similar lifestyle and have some good products to recommend, I am all ears!

No comments:

Post a Comment