Thursday, August 12, 2010

Happy Birthday

My birthday was last Wednesday, and with that brought the debate in my head "To have "real" cake or to stay on course?"  A friend of mine had a birthday party a couple of years ago and the cake was really good, when we asked about it she told me it was a gluten free, dairy free cake.  So off I go to Whole Foods.

Well I was disappointed because the bakery had nothing of the sort, so I am guessing it is something you need to order ahead of time.  The baker took me to the frozen area and showed me the "cakes" there - definitely not what I would call birthday cakes.  So I was getting frustrated, I decided to do the rest of my shopping, and was thinking I was going to have my regular ol ice cream cake and forget about it.

As I was walking around I came across Pamela's Classic Vanilla Cake Mix and Cherrybrook Kitchen Vanilla Frosting Mix . So I decided to try my hand at making my own birthday cake.  Not my first choice, but probably the best choice in my situation.

Review:  I liked the cake...it was a little dense, but I am finding that all gluten free baked goods have a similar dense quality.  I also think it needs some kind on frosting or topping, because I don't think I would have liked it plain.  The frosting on the other hand was a different story.  It was way too sweet/oily/buttery.  It was almost all confectioners sugar and you could tell it.  I don't think I would get it again.  It was ok in small amounts so I didn't have to eat the cake plain, but I couldn't take much more.

Here it is:

No comments:

Post a Comment